Whether it is an aviation accident or a broken turbine blade, mechanical failures can often lead to catastrophic and costly losses. In addition to the physical damage to the equipment involved, mechanical failures can lead to extensive business interruption when a specific machine becomes inoperable due to a mechanical breakdown.
It is very important for (re)insurers and loss adjusters to establish the root cause of failure and determine the contributing factors, as the conclusions will influence the outcome of a policy liability review.
This requires a deep understanding of machines and the operational environment where the machines are used, as well as an understanding of failure mechanisms and how to identify failures in different type of applications.
Our experts have investigated the root cause of mechanical failures in various numerous situations, including:
- Water escape from PRVs (Pressure Reducing Valves)
- Failure of steam turbine blades in power plants in several countries
- Failure of thrust bearing in a gas turbine
- Compressor failure in multiple applications including petrochemical plants
- Electric motor malfunction in different applications
- Circulation pump seizure
- Compression joint separation
- Flange seal leakage
- Failure of earth magnets in MRI scanners
- Heat exchanger blockage
- Valve and/or compressor cavitation/erosion
- Vibration induced failure
- Stress cracking of plastic valves and pipe fittings
- Push-fit joint failure
Our experts employ advanced mechanical testing techniques (including tensile, bending, and fatigue testing) to understand the behaviour of different material under different operating conditions. When necessary, we have partnered with specialised laboratories in leading universities around the world to facilitate testing of different types of equipment.
Our extensive experience in developing and managing test protocols has allowed us to reach accurate conclusions in even the most complex situations. Relying on our findings, insurance companies have been able to make difficult decisions based on our clear and concise opinions that have withstood intense scrutiny.