Before an insurance company can process a claim, they must first establish the cause of the damage to confirm policy liability and apply coverage. Establishing the cause of a loss requires a careful assessment of the loss scenario and the application of specific technical knowledge that comes from years of experience in the field.
Our experts carry out multiple steps to establish the cause of a loss, including:
- Surveying the site of the loss and assessing the damage
- Documenting the conditions on the ground
- Providing an accurate evaluation of the equipment and buildings involved in the claim
- Gathering and reviewing available evidence
- Interviewing the policyholder to discuss valuation and validation of the claim
- Interviewing and requesting reports from third parties
- Reviewing policy terms and conditions
Regardless of the type of incident, we have the experience and expertise to conduct a thorough and detailed cause investigation that will not only identify the proximate cause of an incident, but extend to the root cause of the loss.
Our experts have been instrumental in identifying the cause of many incidents over the years including:
- Fire and explosion
- Crane collapse
- Building collapse
- Electrical faults
- Machinery breakdown
When we launch an investigation of the cause of a loss, we always act with the end in mind. This allows us to see our investigations from the beginning all the way to presenting critical evidence to resolve disputes and giving testimony in court.
Applying the highest scientific and engineering standards is critical in any cause investigation, so therefore we commit significant resources to maintaining our knowledge and enhancing our expertise to ensure that we are offering the most reliable engineering investigation.