The construction sector includes all businesses involved in the development of new buildings, as well as any business that makes repairs or alterations to existing properties.
This covers a wide range of industries including:
- New property buildings
- Repair and maintenance contractors
- Land developers
- Project managers overseeing the execution of construction projects
- Architects, and civil and structural engineers
- Ground workers
- Mechanical and electrical sub-contractors
- Scaffolding and roofing contractors
- Demolition contractors
- Joinery manufacturers
- Waste disposal and site remediation
- Quarrying and aggregates producers
Our experts come from a variety of construction industries and bring with them years of experience and understanding of the responsibility for the timely completion of projects within the constraints of tight financial budgets. This experience involves surveying existing buildings and structures, design and detailing in all of the principal structural materials on a wide variety of projects, design and detailing of associated external works, detailed structural appraisals of existing buildings, and the redevelopment and refurbishment of historic and listed buildings.
Additionally, our experts possess experience performing inspections, investigations, diagnoses and appraisals of all types of existing buildings, structures and property portfolios, along with experience preparing condition reports and planned maintenance schedules (PPMs).
Over the years, our experts have worked directly with insurers and loss adjusters, assessing any structural damage caused by subsidence, fire, flood, vehicular impact, bomb blasts, chemical attacks, water ingress, and wind. In addition to this, our experts have worked on contract administration and project management for site work. Often this work involves complex remedial schemes and extensive dealings with the public during inspections and repairs of domestic properties. Our experts also have experience preparing reports for litigation while acting as an expert witness or party wall surveyor.
Based on their practical experience, our experts have developed a unique understanding of the challenges faced by owners, designers, developers, contractors and subcontractors. It is this understanding that sets our experts apart from others in the field.
Over the years, our experts have been instructed to provide risk engineering, forensic engineering investigations, and claims consulting, including in cases such as the following:
- An investigation into the root cause of a fire on the construction site in a large shopping centre in Doha, Qatar; the fire caused massive delays and significant damage to the project that was in the final stages of construction.
- An investigation into incidents involving damage to underground services during an infrastructure project in Doha, Qatar. The root cause investigation was requested by insurers to determine the liability exposure following many incidents resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to cables, gas lines, and the water supply.
- An investigation into a fire in a solar power plant in Ma’an, Jordan. At the time construction of the plant had just been completed, however handover had not yet been authorised. The damage to certain equipment in the plant was severe enough to jeopardise the plant’s ability to deliver power within the parameters specified by the transmission company.
- An investigation into a crane collapse in a large construction project in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that resulted in one fatality. The contractor had several similar cranes that needed to be examined and tested to ensure compliance with applicable safety standards and local regulations.
- Risk assessment for construction projects in Jordan, Egypt and Qatar, including high-rise commercial building, man-made islands, shopping centres, and infrastructure projects.
- Rendering expert opinion in a construction dispute between the manufacturer and contractor against the owner of the site in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
In addition, our experts have experience preparing reports for litigation while acting as an expert witness or party wall surveyor in instances where the courts have been involved.